1. Ohayon MM. Epidemiology of insomnia: what we know and what we still need to learn. Sleep Med Rev 2002; 6: 97-111.
2. Ohayon MM, Roth T. Place of chronic insomnia in the course of depressive and anxiety disorders. J Psychiatr Res 2003; 37: 9-15.
3. Mellinger GD, Balter MB, Uhlenhuth EH. Insomnia and its treatment. Prevalence and correlates. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1985; 42: 225-32.
4. Ohayon MM, Roth T. Place of chronic insomnia in the course of depressive and anxiety disorders. J Psychiatr Res 2003; 37: 9-15.
5. Ohayon MM. Prevalence of DSM-IV diagnostic criteria of insomnia: distinguishing insomnia related to mental disorders from sleep disorders. J Psychiatr Res 1997; 31: 333-46.
6. Weissman MM, Bland RC, Canino GJ, Faravelli C, Greenwald S, Hwu HG, et al. Cross-national epidemiology of major depression and bipolar disorder. JAMA 1996; 276: 293-9.
7. Ford DE, Kamerow DB. Epidemiologic study of sleep disturbances and psychiatric disorders. An opportunity for prevention? JAMA 1989; 262: 1479-84.
8. Breslau N, Roth T, Rosenthal L, Andreski P. Sleep disturbance and psy chiatric disorders: a longitudinal epidemiological study of young adults. Biol Psychiatry 1996; 39: 411-8.
9. Roberts RE, Roberts CR, Chen IG. Impact of insomnia on future functioning of adolescents. J Psychosom Res 2002; 53: 561-9.
10. Roberts RE, Shema SJ, Kaplan GA, Strawbridge WJ. Sleep complaints and depression in an aging cohort: a prospective perspective. Am J Psychiatry 2000; 157: 81-8.
12. Mallon L, Broman JE, Hetta J. Sleep complaints predict coronary artery disease mortality in males: a 12-year follow-up study of a middle-aged Swedish population. J Intern Med 2002; 251: 207-16.
13. Roehrs T, Hollebeek E, Drake C, Roth T. Substance use for insomnia in Metropolitan Detroit. J Psychosom Res 2002; 53: 571-6.
14. Owens JF, Matthews KA. Sleep disturbance in healthy middle-aged women. Maturitas 1998; 30: 41-50.
15. Ohayon MM. Severe hot flashes are associated with chronic insomnia. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166: 1262-8.
16. Ohayon MM, Partinen M. Insomnia and global sleep dissatisfaction in Finland. J Sleep Res 2002; 11: 339-46.
17. Ohayon MM, Hong SC. Prevalence of insomnia and associated factors in South Korea. J Psychosom Res 2002; 53: 593-600.
18. Ohayon MM, Zulley J. Correlates of global sleep dissatisfaction in the German population. Sleep 2001; 24: 780-7.
19. Ohayon MM, Smolensky MH, Roth T. Consequences of shiftworking on sleep duration, sleepiness, and sleep attacks. Chronobiol Int 2010; 27: 575-89.
21. Ohayon MM, Priest RG, Zulley J, Smirne S, Paiva T. Prevalence of narcolepsy symptomatology and diagnosis in the European general population. Neurology 2002; 58: 1826-33.
22. Baldwin CM, Kapur VK, Holberg CJ, Rosen C, Nieto FJ; Sleep Heart Health Study Group. Associations between gender and measures of daytime somnolence in the Sleep Heart Health Study. Sleep 2004; 27: 305-11.
23. Ohayon MM. Epidemiology of narcolepsy. In Bassetti C, Billiard M, Mignot E (eds.), Narcolepsy and Hypersomnia Series: Lung biology in health and disease. New York: Informa Healthcare; 2007. pp. 125-132.
24. Lavie P. Incidence of sleep apnea in a presumably healthy working population: a significant relationship with excessive daytime sleepiness. Sleep 1983; 6: 312-8.
25. Gislason T, Almqvist M, Eriksson G, Taube A, Boman G. Prevalence of sleep apnea syndrome among Swedish men–an epidemiological study. J Clin Epidemiol 1988; 41: 571-6.
26. Cirignotta F, D’Alessandro R, Partinen M, Zucconi M, Cristina E, Gerardi R, et al. Prevalence of every night snoring and obstructive sleep apnoeas among 30–69-year-old men in Bologna, Italy. Acta Neurol Scand 1989; 79: 366-72.
27. Martikainen K, Partinen M, Urponen H, Vuori I, Laippala P, Hasan J. Natural evolution of snoring: a 5-year follow-up study. Acta Neurol Scand 1994; 90: 437-42.
30. Gislason T, BenediktsdÓttir B, BjÖrnsson JK, Kjartansson G, Kjeld M, Kristbjarnarson H. Snoring, hypertension, and the sleep apnea syndrome. An epidemiologic survey of middle-aged women. Chest 1993; 103: 1147-51.
31. Young T, Palta M, Dempsey J, Skatrud J, Weber S, Badr S. The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N Engl J Med 1993; 328: 1230-5.
32. Olson LG, King MT, Hensley MJ, Saunders NA. A community study of snoring and sleep-disordered breathing. Prevalence. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 152: 711-6.
33. Bearpark H, Elliott L, Grunstein R, Cullen S, Schneider H, Althaus W, et al. Snoring and sleep apnea. A population study in Australian men. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 151: 1459-65.
34. Bixler EO, Vgontzas AN, Ten Have T, Tyson K, Kales A. Effects of age on sleep apnea in men: I. Prevalence and severity. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 157: 144-8.
35. Bixler EO, Vgontzas AN, Lin HM, Ten Have T, Rein J, Vela-Bueno A, et al. Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in women: effects of gender. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163: 608-13.
36. Durán J, Esnaola S, Rubio R, Iztueta A. Obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea and related clinical features in a population-based sample of subjects aged 30 to 70 yr. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163: 685-9.
37. Ip MS, Lam B, Tang LC, Lauder IJ, Ip TY, Lam WK. A community study of sleep-disordered breathing in middle-aged Chinese women in Hong Kong: prevalence and gender differences. Chest 2004; 125: 127-34.
38. Udwadia ZF, Doshi AV, Lonkar SG, Singh CI. Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing and sleep apnea in middle-aged urban Indian men. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004; 169: 168-73.
39. Sharma SK, Kumpawat S, Banga A, Goel A. Prevalence and risk factors of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in a population of Delhi, India. Chest 2006; 130: 149-56.
40. Reddy EV, Kadhiravan T, Mishra HK, Sreenivas V, Handa KK, Sinha S, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of obstructive sleep apnea among middle-aged urban Indians: a community-based study. Sleep Med 2009; 10: 913-8.
41. Lavigne GJ, Montplaisir JY. Restless legs syndrome and sleep bruxism: prevalence and association among Canadians. Sleep 1994; 17: 739-43.
42. Phillips B, Young T, Finn L, Asher K, Hening WA, Purvis C. Epidemiology of restless legs symptoms in adults. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160: 2137-41.
43. Kageyama T, Kabuto M, Nitta H, Kurokawa Y, Taira K, Suzuki S, et al. Prevalences of periodic limb movement-like and restless legs-like symptoms among Japanese adults. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2000; 54: 296-8.
44. Rijsman R, Neven AK, Graffelman W, Kemp B, de Weerd A. Epidemiology of restless legs in The Netherlands. Eur J Neurol 2004; 11: 607-11.
45. Kim J, Choi C, Shin K, Yi H, Park M, Cho N, et al. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome and associated factors in the Korean adult population: the Korean Health and Genome Study. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2005; 59: 350-3.
47. Phillips B, Hening W, Britz P, Mannino D. Prevalence and correlates of restless legs syndrome: results from the 2005 National Sleep Foundation Poll. Chest 2006; 129: 76-80.
48. Yokoyama E, Saito Y, Kaneita Y, Ohida T, Harano S, Tamaki T, et al. Association between subjective well-being and sleep among the elderly in Japan. Sleep Med 2008; 9: 157-64.
49. Juuti AK, Läärä E, Rajala U, Laakso M, Härkänen P, Keinänen-Kiu-kaanniemi S, et al. Prevalence and associated factors of restless legs in a 57-year-old urban population in northern Finland. Acta Neurol Scand 2010; 122: 63-9.
50. Rothdach AJ, Trenkwalder C, Haberstock J, Keil U, Berger K. Prevalence and risk factors of RLS in an elderly population: the MEMO study. Memory and Morbidity in Augsburg Elderly. Neurology 2000; 54: 1064-8.
51. Ulfberg J, NystrÖm B, Carter N, Edling C. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome among men aged 18 to 64 years: an association with somatic disease and neuropsychiatric symptoms. Mov Disord 2001; 16: 1159-63.
52. Ulfberg J, NystrÖm B, Carter N, Edling C. Restless Legs Syndrome among working-aged women. Eur Neurol 2001; 46: 17-9.
53. Sevim S, Dogu O, Camdeviren H, Bugdayci R, Sasmaz T, Kaleagasi H, et al. Unexpectedly low prevalence and unusual characteristics of RLS in Mersin, Turkey. Neurology 2003; 61: 1562-9.
54. Berger K, Luedemann J, Trenkwalder C, John U, Kessler C. Sex and the risk of restless legs syndrome in the general population. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164: 196-202.
55. HÖgl B, Kiechl S, Willeit J, Saletu M, Frauscher B, Seppi K, et al. Restless legs syndrome: a community-based study of prevalence, severity, and risk factors. Neurology 2005; 64: 1920-4.
56. Mizuno S, Miyaoka T, Inagaki T, Horiguchi J. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome in non-institutionalized Japanese elderly. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2005; 59: 461-5.
57. Tison F, Crochard A, Léger D, Bouée S, Lainey E, El Hasnaoui A. Epidemiology of restless legs syndrome in French adults: a nationwide survey: the INSTANT Study. Neurology 2005; 65: 239-46.
59. Tsuboi Y, Imamura A, Sugimura M, Nakano S, Shirakawa S, Yamada T. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome in a Japanese elderly population. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2009; 15: 598-601.
60. Allen RP, Walters AS, Montplaisir J, Hening W, Myers A, Bell TJ, et al. Restless legs syndrome prevalence and impact: REST general population study. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165: 1286-92.
61. Bjorvatn B, Leissner L, Ulfberg J, Gyring J, Karlsborg M, Regeur L, et al. Prevalence, severity and risk factors of restless legs syndrome in the general adult population in two Scandinavian countries. Sleep Med 2005; 6: 307-12.
62. Castillo PR, Kaplan J, Lin SC, Fredrickson PA, Mahowald MW. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome among native South Americans residing in coastal and mountainous areas. Mayo Clin Proc 2006; 81: 1345-7.
63. Lee HB, Hening WA, Allen RP, Earley CJ, Eaton WW, Lyketsos CG. Race and restless legs syndrome symptoms in an adult community sample in east Baltimore. Sleep Med 2006; 7: 642-5.
64. Vogl FD, Pichler I, Adel S, Pinggera GK, Bracco S, De Grandi A, et al. Restless legs syndrome: epidemiological and clinicogenetic study in a South Tyrolean population isolate. Mov Disord 2006; 21: 1189-95.
65. Hadjigeorgiou GM, Stefanidis I, Dardiotis E, Aggellakis K, Sakkas GK, Xiromerisiou G, et al. Low RLS prevalence and awareness in central Greece: an epidemiological survey. Eur J Neurol 2007; 14: 1275-80.
66. Rangarajan S, Rangarajan S, D’Souza GA. Restless legs syndrome in an Indian urban population. Sleep Med 2007; 9: 88-93.
67. Ulfberg J, Bjorvatn B, Leissner L, Gyring J, Karlsborg M, Regeur L, et al. Comorbidity in restless legs syndrome among a sample of Swedish adults. Sleep Med 2007; 8: 768-72.
68. Broman JE, Mallon L, Hetta J. Restless legs syndrome and its relationship with insomnia symptoms and daytime distress: epidemiological survey in Sweden. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2008; 62: 472-5.
71. Happe S, Vennemann M, Evers S, Berger K. Treatment wish of individuals with known and unknown restless legs syndrome in the community. J Neurol 2008; 255: 1365-71.
72. Nomura T, Inoue Y, Kusumi M, Uemura Y, Nakashima K. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome in a rural community in Japan. Mov Disord 2008; 23: 2363-9.
73. Wesstrom J, Nilsson S, Sundstrom-Poromaa I, Ulfberg J. Restless legs syndrome among women: prevalence, co-morbidity and possible relationship to menopause. Climacteric 2008; 11: 422-8.
74. Winkelman JW, Shahar E, Sharief I, Gottlieb DJ. Association of restless legs syndrome and cardiovascular disease in the Sleep Heart Health Study. Neurology 2008; 70: 35-42.
75. Cho SJ, Hong JP, Hahm BJ, Jeon HJ, Chang SM, Cho MJ, et al. Restless legs syndrome in a community sample of Korean adults: prevalence, impact on quality of life, and association with DSM-IV psychiatric disorders. Sleep 2009; 32: 1069-76.
76. Erer S, Karli N, Zarifoglu M, Ozcakir A, Yildiz D. The prevalence and clinical features of restless legs syndrome: a door to door population study in Orhangazi, Bursa in Turkey. Neurol India 2009; 57: 729-33.
77. Benediktsdottir B, Janson C, Lindberg E, ArnardÓttir ES, Olafsson I, Cook E, et al. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome among adults in Iceland and Sweden: Lung function, comorbidity, ferritin, biomarkers and quality of life. Sleep Med 2010; 11: 1043-8.
78. Celle S, Roche F, Kerleroux J, Thomas-Anterion C, Laurent B, Rouch I, et al. Prevalence and clinical correlates of restless legs syndrome in an elderly French population: the synapse study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2010; 65: 167-73.
79. Chen NH, Chuang LP, Yang CT, Kushida CA, Hsu SC, Wang PC, et al. The prevalence of restless legs syndrome in Taiwanese adults. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2010; 64: 170-8.
80. Kim KW, Yoon IY, Chung S, Shin YK, Lee SB, Choi EA, et al. Prevalence, comorbidities and risk factors of restless legs syndrome in the Korean elderly population - results from the Korean Longitudinal Study on Health and Aging. J Sleep Res 2010; 19: 87-92.
81. Park YM, Lee HJ, Kang SG, Choi HS, Choi JE, Cho JH, et al. Prevalence of idiopathic and secondary restless legs syndrome in Korean Women. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2010; 32: 164-8.
82. Taşdemir M, Erdoğan H, BÖrü UT, Dilaver E, Kumaş A. Epidemiology of restless legs syndrome in Turkish adults on the western Black Sea coast of Turkey: a door-to-door study in a rural area. Sleep Med 2010; 11: 82-6.
83. Winkler AS, Trendafilova A, Meindl M, Kaaya J, Schmutzhard E, Kassubek J. Restless legs syndrome in a population of northern Tanzania: a community-based study. Mov Disord 2010; 25: 596-601.
84. Yilmaz K, Kilincaslan A, Aydin N, Kor D. Prevalence and correlates of restless legs syndrome in adolescents. Dev Med Child Neurol 2011; 53: 40-7.
85. Ohayon MM, Roth T. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder in the general population. J Psychosom Res 2002; 53: 547-54.
86. Picchietti D, Allen RP, Walters AS, Davidson JE, Myers A, Ferini-Strambi L. Restless legs syndrome: prevalence and impact in children and adolescents–the Peds REST study. Pediatrics 2007; 120: 253-66.
87. Ram S, Seirawan H, Kumar SK, Clark GT. Prevalence and impact of sleep disorders and sleep habits in the United States. Sleep Breath 2010; 14: 63-70.